Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Needlepoint pin cushion

Extreme crafters become obsessed with things sometimes. I became obsessed with this needlepoint pin cushion I found at my aunt's house. I apologize for the poor quality of the photo..
My grandmother made this pin cushion many many years ago -- along with dozens of pillows, chair seats, wall hangings and other needlepoint masterpieces. My grandmother was good with a needle and a patient teacher of needlepoint. She started me off with a kid's kit with thick wool and a massive needle. Then, she quickly moved me to an "adult" needlepoint kit that required finer stitches and a steadier hand.

I hadn't even thought about needlepoint for about 20 years! Then, while visiting my aunt, I spotted this needlepoint pin cushion and wanted it really badly -- so badly that my aunt gave me the pin cushion. Hurrah!

But the obsession continues. Now I want to make my own needlepoint pin cushions. I found some similar patterns here. Expensive. But when you're obsessed, what can you do?

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have a developed a recent obsession with needlepoint pincushions--inspired by one I purchased many years ago. The one I have is rectangular and all of one piece, the sides folding in to form the back, sewn together in an X pattern. I am trying to perfect the dimensions. The most recent one is taking a lot of blocking to bring it into square.

    ReplyDelete